I use several counselling methods, which we can discuss and choose from, to adapt to my client’s particular needs and situation.
For Marriage & Couples Counselling I combine both traditional therapy and the Gottman Institute based marital therapy with holistic counselling described below.
The Gottman counselling method is a very practical hands on way of giving couples the tools and techniques they need to improve communication and to strengthen the “core” of their relationship. This method of relationship counselling can also help bring a couple closer together if they have drifted apart, and can help heal and repair the damage from affairs and other significant marital events.
When counselling individuals, I look at the interconnectedness of the body, mind and spirit to help facilitate wellness.
Holistic counselling methods approach disease and disorders as parts of a greater whole. Rather than treating just the symptoms, a holistic practitioner looks deeper and tries to uncover underlying causes.
The emphasis in holistic counselling is always on facilitating self discovery and self healing. Holistic counsellors often say that they enter into a partnership with a client and assist them in accessing their own inner wisdom rather than imparting wisdom, knowledge or healing themselves.
Counselling Methods I use in my practice
- Psychotherapy: Where I help clients to explore the subconscious and unconscious aspects of the self or personality.
- Mindfulness: I teach you about mindfulness and help you to “be in the moment” this can help facilitate self therapy.
- Focusing is another technique that we explore that emphasizes focusing on a felt body sense and listening to what it has to “say.” This helps you to learn about how you truly feel about something, rather than just reacting as you may have in the past.
- Art is used for therapeutic purposes, to enhance creativity and/or explore the subconscious and unconscious mind.
- Hypnosis is sometimes used to explore deeper levels of consciousness
- Massage and Body Psychotherapy, working on the very powerful mind / body connection.
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy – helps to retrain your brain to new healthier patterns and ways of thinking and being in the world. The brain has an amazing ability to adapt and change – unfortunately it sometimes adapts for the worse. This can be changed so the brain adapts for the positive.
Holistic Counselling may help you achieve:
- Greater self awareness and self acceptance.
- Improvements in your marriage and relationships.
- A more peaceful, centered approach to life.
- Greater health and vitality.
- Emotional well being.
- A deepened sense of spirituality.
- A greater ability to cope with traumas such as death, divorce and abuse.
- An enhanced feeling of optimism and self esteem.