1. So, what is Life Coaching?
Coaching combines a positive outlook, active listening, powerful questioning and an open mind while challenging and helping people to define and create their own happiness and success.
My Life Coaching also uses a very complete and thorough “Work Package” which includes:
- Evaluation questionnaires and worksheets.
- Reading materials.
- Exercises that help you define and refine what you want to do, what you want to change, who you want to be and/or who you really are.
- You set goals – which are essential so you know what direction you are heading. Most importantly it helps you to figure out how to get there!
For Life Coaching I use an amazing online program called CoachAccountable.
Both you and I have access to your own unique secure client portal where we can touch base between sessions, set and monitor goals, share information and files, as well as send and receive questionnaires and worksheets.
This helps you to stay on track between sessions and helps both of us to refine and fine-tune your goals and our work as you go!
- Coaching helps you to take responsibility for your life, let go of what others think and take action to create the self and life you want. It’s about you creating the happiness in life that you want and deserve.
- Simply put, Coaching is where you work with someone to redesign yourself, your environment and your life. And then take action to implement it…
- Life is getting busier by the day and the world around us constantly tells us what to do next, think next and buy next.
- Coaching, which supports you to look within for your own answers, has never been more important or relevant than now.
- After the first session you will be inspired and leave with an action plan!
2. What does a Coach do?
Imagine someone who helps you define what you want, who listens and accepts you as you come up with your own action plan. Someone who is non-judgemental and supports you. You talk with them regularly – whether you’ve messed something up or had great success – and review, learn and push on to where you want to be in life. A coach will:
- Work with you to acknowledge honestly where you are, and define where you want to be.
- Listen, ask questions and challenge you to raise your awareness and increase possibilities and choice.
- Help you identify an action plan, and move forwards.
- Hold you accountable for what you have said you will do.
- Help you review and celebrate successes, and re-plot your course as you go.
3. How does Coaching work?
One of the key reasons coaching works is that you are regularly held accountable – for what YOU have said you will do. It’s all too easy to put other people, or perhaps more urgent but less important tasks ahead of your own personal growth.
Coaching works because it’s all about you. When you really connect with what you really want and why you really want it (or don’t want it) change happens!
One of the most exciting things about coaching is the positive energy you get when you push out of your comfort zone, come up with a plan and put it into action! Taking action takes on a whole new meaning as you re-create your life the way you want it.
Action begets inspiration, not the other way around…
4. What can Coaching do for me?
There are a number of reasons why people hire a coach, but some of the reasons I have noticed are:
- To get UNSTUCK from a problem or nagging issue.
- To create MORE TIME and REDUCE STRESS: Simplify and re-prioritize your life. Learn how to find BALANCE and live your busy life in a way that fits you.
- To find CALM and INNER PEACE: Learn to relax and befriend your inner critic.
- To get CLARITY and FOCUS. What do you want and why? Step back and clarify your life, dreams and desires into goals.
- To create MORE HAPPINESS: Take steps to create joy, balance and harmony in your life.
- To IMPROVE RELATIONSHIPS: Raise your personal awareness and self-understanding so you can tune into yourself and others better.
- To find FREEDOM! Freedom is created by taking responsibility for your life, coming up with your own options, solutions and taking ACTION.
- To create MORE EASE: Take control of your life, view life more positively and handle setbacks more quickly and easily.
- To find or become the AUTHENTIC you. Who are you? Learn to love and accept yourself.
- To GAIN SELF-CONFIDENCE: Learn to trust your intuition and inner wisdom, improve your self-belief. Also, identify your strengths and where you may be holding yourself back so you can develop to your full potential.
Coaching is about focusing on POSSIBILITY, not Probability – try new things, take risks, get out of your comfort zone and Explore!
Ultimately, Coaching helps you see you are the expert on your life; it’s about YOU designing YOUR future.
5. What Coaching does NOT do?
Coaching does NOT provide the answers, YOU do.
People don’t realize they have all the answers they need. It’s easier to believe someone else – perhaps an expert – has the answers for us. In these time-pressed days, there’s a natural desire to get the answers in a packaged solution rather than do the work it takes to find the answer.
But no one else can tell you what you truly want – only you know that!
6. How is Coaching different from Counselling?
Both Counselling and Coaching use the core skills of listening, asking questions, raising awareness and moving a person forwards.
Counselling and therapy however tend to be about treating/curing a problem or number of issues in the present – by looking into the past. Counselling and therapy may also include psychiatry and diagnosis, neither of which are part of coaching.
Coaching is about moving from the present into the future – by setting goals and specifically taking action to move you there.
- Is about your CREATIVITY
- Is TASK focused – taking ACTION is essential!
- Is largely FUTURE focused – moving people towards specific GOALS and objectives
- Relies on the client for the answers – the CLIENT IS THE EXPERT, not the coach
Think of it like this: THERAPY heals the past, COACHING designs the future.
In our work together I may temporarily use some Counseling to help you through specific issues.
This is the benefit of working with a Life Coach who is also a Counsellor.
7. What does a Coaching Session look like?
- In the early sessions, we work together to establish where you are now and define what you want to get out of the Coaching.
- I then help you to move forward aided by a very complete and thorough evaluation package as well as reading materials and worksheets, exercises that help you define and refine what you want to do, what you want to change, who you want to be, and most importantly…How to get there! You set goals – which are essential so you know what direction you are heading.
- As part of the sessions, we brainstorm options and possibilities for your action plan. This is an essential part of coaching – as you identify (or perhaps admit to yourself!) possible ways forward.
- At each session you create and commit to your action plan for the upcoming period.
- We talk on a regular (usually weekly) basis to evaluate and discuss your progress.
- We celebrate your successes and delve deeper into the areas where you are not moving forwards. Which actions did you complete? Which did you not? What got in the way? This review lets us know if you are moving forwards and pinpoints issues if you are not.
- During each session I listen, ask questions, challenge and support you, offering feedback and observations as necessary. I operate as a neutral observer to help you grow.
- Sometimes we might focus in on a particular area during a session.
- You will always have a lot of work to do at home between sessions. This will take considerable time and effort to facilitate positive permanent change!
Coaching keeps you focused and holds you accountable as you take steps towards who you want to be and the life you want to have. Most importantly, coaching is your sacred ‘you-time’ to look forward to each week!
All of this work can be monitored with and collaborated on together with your own online portal with me through: CoachAccountable.
8. How long do we work together?
We work together for as long as it is beneficial to you – and you are enjoying the sessions.
It is recommended that you start with a 3-6 month time period – to allow you to get going and achieve something meaningful during our time together.
For smaller growth and specific change, a couple of sessions might be all it takes to gain focus and take action.
Some people have had a relationship with their coach for 1-2 years and more, while some people achieve great value from just 3 months – especially if they are highly motivated and want to work through a specific issue.
9. Who do you Coach?
My clients are anybody ready to make a change and put the effort and time in that is required to make those changes.
Clients typically want:
- MORE FROM LIFE but may not be sure what that is yet or where to start.
- Often have TOO MUCH ‘going on’ in their lives.
- Recognize the value of RELATIONSHIPS and want to improve – at work or play.
- Are SUCCESSFUL but not necessarily truly happy.
- Are ‘DO-ERS’. They value integrity, respect, results and hard-work but often crave more freedom, peace, simplicity or ease. And are not quite sure how to bring the two areas together!
- Are often IN or considering a TRANSITION in their lives.
- Value INDIVIDUALITY and are kind, warm, friendly and giving.
- Are often at a point where they want to GIVE SOMETHING BACK to the world/community at large.
- OPEN and willing to look for the POSITIVE.
- Have often ALREADY READ some self-help/development books or attended courses in the past.
Does this sound like you, or perhaps who you want to be?
10. Am I Ready to be Coached?
Only you know the answer to this question. If you have HAD ENOUGH of the way things are and are READY to make a change then you could benefit from coaching.
I have noticed 3 main reasons that people come to me for coaching:
- Something HAS to change. Life has got to the point where you feel fed-up, miserable or frustrated and are ready to try something new.
- You’re PASSIONATE about your ideas or a change you want to make but are struggling to make it reality. Perhaps you want it to happen faster or can’t see the way forward.
- You’re SEARCHING for the real person inside. Perhaps a change, planned or unplanned, has caused you to reflect and reconsider your life. You’re now ready to connect with you – and move to the next level.
Are you READY to explore yourself – the wonderful, unique and exciting you?
COACHING WORKS for anyone committed to change and ready to put in the effort. Are you willing to be honest with yourself? Open to a better future and ready to believe in yourself? Willing to adopt a more positive outlook on life? Are you truly committed to change and prepared to work at it? Are you ready to be accountable for your life, decisions and actions?
Because nothing changes if nothing changes.
You alone can be responsible for your results in life and your success depends on your commitment and willingness to change.
Are you ready to commit to yourself and try something different?