I offer Marriage & Couples Counselling for clients in the Maple Ridge, Pitt meadows, Langley, Coquitlam and surrounding areas.
In my approach to Marriage Counselling, I combine both traditional therapy and the Gottman Institute based marital therapy.
The principle goals of the Gottman Method of Marriage & Couples Counselling are to disarm conflicting verbal communication, increase intimacy, respect and affection, remove barriers that create a feeling of stagnancy in conflicting situations, and create a heightened sense of understanding within the context of the relationship.
Drs. John and Julie Gottman developed nine components of healthy relationships, also known within the counselling practice as the Sound Relationship House. These include:
- Managing conflict and improving communication
- Turning towards (as opposed to turning away from) each other
- The positive perspective (seeing your partner as a friend, not an adversary)
- Sharing fondness and admiration
- Making life dreams come true
- Creating shared meaning
- Building love maps